Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Royal Wedding

I really don't care about the wedding of Prince William and Kate. But I'm glad its over so we can get back to focusing on death and destruction.

I see all the Facebook posts about folks buying a new HD t.v. so they can view the wedding in hi-def. All the folks who love the idea of the fairytale wedding and so on. Perhaps I'm jaded or perhaps I've never cared about other people's fairytales. It's just too far from reality.

I've had mixed emotions about it though. Some folks are angry that the news focused on the wedding instead of continuing coverage of the tornadoes in the Southeast. But the fact of the matter is, whether you care about the wedding or death and destruction, life goes on. All over the world, life continues to move no matter what is happening in our microscopic surroundings.

I think that in a way, some people need the wedding (or anything else positive for that matter) as a distraction from the realities of our broken lives in this fallen world. I don't care about the wedding (did I say that already?), but I can't really be irritated with those that do.

I'm far more irritated with the folks who blast the newscasters for talking about the wedding instead of constantly focusing on all the destruction from the tornadoes, or the war, or the starving children, or rape, or....shall I continue? The news is typically obsessed with the negative to the point that many people can't watch it anymore because it's so depressing.

But nothing has changed. These things have been going on all over the world since the beginning. People say it has gotten worse. Has it? Or are we just more aware of it now that it is being broadcast everywhere we turn? Statistically, the numbers of crime and destruction are the same as they were 100 years ago. War? Nothing new. Earthquakes? Nothing new. Abuse? Nothing new.

I don't care about a single detail of the wedding, but it sure has been a change of pace from what we normally hear.

Again, I say, I'm glad the wedding is over so now we can get back to focusing on death and destruction.

No comments: